Tuesday 9 August 2016

WIP: The Terrain for Nestorian Infestation

The first game of the Nestorian Infestation draws closer. I still have to finish the gaming board, and a couple of models. 

I've shared a few pictures and sneak peeks of the board in earlier posts and on Instagram, but now I've collected all of the pictures to show you how far I've come. 





The board consists of nine 31x31cm tiles (four tiles are the same size as one classic GW "realms of battle" tile).

The first game of the Nestorian Infestation is set on a mining world. Most of the time, the story will happen underground, due to the toxic atmosphere and lethal sunstormes on the surface. 

I have based the board on the design of Forge World's Zone Mortalis. The tiles have classic shapes from the walls on the Zone Mortalis board. When they are put together they can form a lot of different looking tunnels and corridors.



Some of the walls are made using the inside of the new GW containers. 


I did a couple of test fittings while building the tiles. This way they make the longest possible corridors with container walls on both sides. 










One of the last two tiles will have this creepy construction in the center. 


Hopefully I'll be able to start the painting process in a couple of days. 

10 comments:

  1. This is going to be epic!

    Really looking forward to this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really looking forward to this as well ;)

      Delete
  2. Amazing. Great work mate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in love with the container corridor idea. Also that statue is really inspired.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I've actually bought some more containers, to be used as this years Armies on Parade.

      Delete
  4. Impressive work! I love all the little details. The use of the new GW containers was a great idea too. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brilliant work! I love what you've done to the statue.
    What have you used to texture the board? It looks like overgrown mossy rocks before you've even painted it. And where did you get the square boards you used? I've been after something similar for a while and the only supplier I can find is too far away. Really looking forward to seeing this finished.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers!

      The boards was purchased at a regular carpenter store called Maxbo in Oslo. They have a huge saw, that can cut any sizes of squares you want. I paid juts over 200 nok (20GBP/22Euro ish) for the materials and cutting in total.

      The board was textured by wood glue and sand in various sizes. I've also stippled more glue and some static grass and some crackle paint from GW. The cracks become very large if you apply it over the sand and glue when it's still wet.

      Delete
  6. Great stuff Wilhelm!

    I like the fact that you have kept it modular and in smaller sections. This makes it much more transportable too - something we were reminded about when we did the Botanicarium for Pilgrym.

    I love the statue and the use of the Containers and how you have added gothic carvings here and there by using GW parts. Would it be possible to make some sections with high(er) walls that would be climbable and to give it a bit more verticality?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers!

      I've thought about building varied sizes of walls. But the first walls where based on the height of the containers, so I just went with the same height on all of them.
      I'm however planning to create 16 tiles in total. So the next batch will definitely have some higher walls, as some larger models can easily look over them, which is quite stupid.

      Delete